The Summer Institute at American Heritage Schools
In-person and online summer classes for 2021
- The summer slide is when students lose academic gains during the summer.
- The COVID slide has amplified academic losses over the last year and a half, with students struggling to learn and keep up.
- The Summer Institute offers in-person and online classes for Pre-K3 through grade 12.
- We offer skills reinforcement and enrichment for all ages, plus subjects like math, science, English, and reading.
- High School level courses include pre-professional and college prep classes.
- One-on-one tutoring is offered for all grade levels.
We are well into summer and you have probably enjoyed family time and vacations. Unfortunately, summer is also a time when your child can lose some of the academic gains he or she made in the last year. After the upheaval we experienced in the last year due to COVID-19, it is more important than ever to help your child prepare for the upcoming academic year.
The Summer Institute at American Heritage Schools offers in-person and online summer classes for students in Lower, Middle, and High School. Some are designed for high-achieving students to pursue their interests, while others help students catch up or prepare for the next school year.
We look at the options that are available for students.
Summer and COVID slides
The summer slide is a well-known phenomenon that affects student achievement. Multiple studies have found that students lose some of their academic knowledge during the long break from school. In fact, a 2015 study found that third to fifth-grade students lost about 20% of their gains in reading and 27% in math.
The COVID-19 crisis also increased knowledge gaps and resulted in widespread school closures and the adoption of virtual learning. As a result, many students lost a lot of ground in school and fell behind in core subjects. This new phenomenon is called the COVID slide.
Your child may be struggling in certain subjects because of the changes and difficulties we experienced this year. Our in-person and online summer classes can help.
Summer classes for Lower School students
All in-person and online classes at the Summer Institute are taught by our experienced, certified teachers. We offer classes for students entering Pre-K – grade 12.
Lower School classes
Lower School classes are designed to engage students in an age-appropriate way while promoting a life-long love of learning. Some classes are only offered in-person so be sure to check the online classes, as well.
- Early Elementary Reinforcement – Pre-K3 or Pre-K4 (in-person and online)
- Early Elementary Enrichment – Pre-K3 or Pre-K4 (in-person and online)
- Reinforcement Skills for Kindergarten (in-person and online)
- Early Enrichment Prepping for Kindergarten (in-person and online)
- Reinforcement Skills for First Grade (in-person and online)
- Flourishing in First Grade (in-person and online)
- Reinforcement Skills for Second Grade (in-person and online)
- Soaring into Second Grade (in-person and online)
- Reinforcement Skills for Third Grade (in-person and online)
- Thriving in Third Grade (in-person and online)
- Reinforcement Skills for Fourth Grade (in-person and online)
- Flourishing in Fourth Grade (in-person and online)
- Reinforcement Skills for Fifth Grade (in-person and online)
- Flying into Fifth Grade (in-person and online)
- Elementary ESOL - Grades 3-5 (in-person and online)
- Math Squared – Grades 3-5 (in-person and online)
- Reading & Writing Workshop – Grades 3-5 (in-person and online)
- Elementary Speech & Debate – Grades4-5 (in-person and online)
- Piano (in-person and online)
- Chess by the National Scholastic Chess Foundation (in-person and online)
Middle School classes
Our Middle School Summer classes are designed for students going into 6-8th grades. The goal is to help students maintain academic gains or catch up in areas where he or she may be struggling. You can also enroll your child in one-on-one tutoring.
In-person and online classes include:
- Reinforcement Skills (grades 6 – 8) – This class includes instruction in a range of subjects, including math, language arts, and reading
- Math Enrichment (grades 6 – 8)
- English Enrichment (grades 6 – 8)
- Middle school Speech and Debate
- Introduction to Speech and Debate Competition
- Prep for Success Science Fair
- Prep for Success NHD (National History Day)
- Chess by the National Scholastic Chess Foundation
- Middle School ESOL
High School classes
Our High School Summer classes are designed for students going into grades 9 - 12. Students will be able to prepare for the coming year. There are also classes to help prepare students for life after high school, as well as pre-med and business classes.
Summer High School in-person classes include:
- Business Essentials (Pre-Business Program)
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation (Pre-Business Program)
- Introduction to Speech and Debate
- SAT Essentials
- Pre-Med Medical Terminology (Pre-Med Program)
- Embryology (Pre-Med Program)
- Algebra 2
- Physical Education
- Computer Science Essentials
- Prep for Success Science Fair
The Summer Institute online classes are designed for high-achieving students of all ages who want to dive deeper into a specific subject. High School courses will help teenagers prepare for college and beyond.
Online classes include:
- One-on-One Tutoring
- Your Time to Shine: Resume Writing and College Interview Skills
- AP Biology Essay Writing and Quantitative Skills
- English 1 - 4
- Shakespeare 1
- Creative Writing
- Spanish 1-4
- World Geography
- American History
- World History
- American Government
- Introduction to Drama
- ESOL to English
- ESOL 1 – 3
- Leadership Program by Dale Carnegie
Let this summer be about learning
The Summer Institute at American Heritage Schools will help your child prepare for the coming year or dive into advanced studies in any number of subjects. Our goal is to help each student reach his or her academic potential.
For more information on signing up for summer classes, contact us today.